Friday, July 18, 2008

New Hair Styles



The pictures above are from a round of water balloon fights this afternoon.

Well, for second or so time, Nastya and Dima have found the scissors and given themselves new hair cuts. Dima ended up getting a buzz and Nastya just looks like she has a fade on top. Otherwise, all are doing well! Below are answers to the most common questions we are asked daily:

  • Do they speak English? Very little, but more each day.
  • Do they speak Russian? Yes (I must say I am puzzled by this question)!
  • Do you speak Russian? Yes, sort of. I refer to it as redneck Russian (every other word or so Russian). Correct gender - nope. Correct verb form - probably not. They understand it and that is all that matters.
  • What do they eat? Food
  • Are you going to enroll them in public school? No. We homeschool. Polina and maybe even Dima will attend a special school a couple of days per week for Russian speaking children. The rest of the week, they will be homeschooled with the rest of the children.
  • Do the Russians know you homeschool? Yes. When you adopt, there are NO secrets. We were asked in court about this and it is in our homestudy.
  • How are they adjusting? Quite well - better each day. We have our moments of drama, but things are going well. They have come soooo far since we picked them up on May 20. I'll go over some of the changes in another post.
That's all for now, God bless -

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Tony,
I love your term, "Redneck Russian!" It made me laugh. That's about how I'm handling the language too. Lord knows if my daughter will understand when I finally get my court date and pick her up, but it sounds like it works for you. Love always finds a way, doesn't it?

Cindy
Kansas City

Troy and Rachel said...

This list cracked me up!! I also liked the term "Redneck Russian" and I think that's what Troy and I spoke also!! Glad to have a name for it now! It sounds like you all are communicating fine and things are going well. I don't think I would have wanted to be in the middle of the water balloon fight!!

Unknown said...

Love your list too! "Redneck Russian" describes my Russian perfectly. Russian with a slow southern accent!