Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Month of Birthdays

September is a busy month for us - we have four birthdays to celebrate! Dima's birthday was first ending with Jeremy's on the 21st. We were able to do something special on each person's birthday. Although it may not have been a lot, we had four opportunities to celebrate as a family. These were special times together. With Jeremy turning 18, it made me realize how fast time is passing and how little time we actually have with our children. I truly feel blessed that God has allowed me to be a part of their lives.

Dima was a little overwhelmed by the whole birthday thing. He obviously had never had such a fuss made over his birthday. The grandparents and my sister came by with presents and my brother shipped him some presents. He also had some friends over to help him celebrate.

All the kids are doing great. Once again, I must brag on Dima and the advances he has made since May 20. I will not get into specifics, I'll just say that he is learning how to make friends and does not lash out when things do not go as he would like them to. He is a very brave little boy who has been through more than a six year old should have to endure. For those adopting, anger is something that is present in every child you bring home. Fortunately, the educational classes we went to prepared us for what to expect. Complete trust is not something that comes quick and he is slowly starting to talk to us when he gets angry. I know we still have work to do, but he has just made amazing progress. When I tuck him in at night, I tell him how proud I am of him and what a good boy he is. Unfortunately, these words of encouragement and love are new to him.

For those still waiting to bring your children home, we are praying for you and your children. Take the time to learn as much as you can about adoption. The whole process has taught me more about true love and how thankful I am for God's grace. We regret nothing and although there have been moments of stress and frustration, let me again say how blessed we are that God has allowed us to share our lives with six wonderful children.

God Bless -

6 comments:

Troy and Rachel said...

Wow - you did have a month of birthdays! So glad Dima is doing much better with love and support from his parents. Those water bumper cars look like a blast!!

Carey and Norman said...

What a fun month for you. Birthdays and Christmas are my favorite holidays as I always enjoy having time together as a family to celebrate another milestone.

I'm so proud of Dima. I agree that our children have a hard time channeling their anger and need time to adjust to the normal world and life expectations.

So glad you are doing so well.

Joel and Clarion said...

Great post! We are experiencing some of the anger things you mention with our 5 year old. We've only been home from Vlad 3 weeks and he is already making progress. It's encouraging to read your posts. Thanks!

Dan and Alicia Marlowe said...

I'm so sorry that I lost track of you. We need to add your link to our blogroll. Maybe I'll finally get around to that today. I've been missing the Vlad Inn lately. I think b/c it is getting close to Nov. and my 'post tramatic stress' is coming full circle. ;) Your children look like they are doing so well. I read back through all your posts and so I feel like I've gotten to catch up with you this morning. I love the Redneck Russian. I just say everything with an accent and hope that makes it sounds Russian enough to preserve some on Dmitry's heritage. ;) I am so blessed at what God is doing in your family.

junglemama said...

Lots of happy birthdays! How fun! I am glad to hear Dima is doing so well!

Dewayne said...

Great photos hope to hear from you soon. DW