Monday, November 24, 2008

Russian Christmas Gift

As part of National Adoption month, I presented a brief overview Sunday night and requested money for Christmas gifts for children in a foster home run by a friend we met in Vladivostok. Jeff is a fellow believer that we met in Vladivostok while meeting our children for the first time this past December.

Anyway, part of Jeff's work is to oversee a foster home that currently houses 9 children and foster parents. These children are given love and attention that is just not possible to receive in an orphanage. Not that some orphanages don't try, but they just don't have the ability with the caretaker to child ratio.

My church family shocked me by donating over $1,400! Honestly, this was three times more than I expected. We are a small church and that night there were only about 120 people including kids present. I wish I could have shared the joy of telling Jeff with each and every person that contributed.

Soon after sending Jeff an e-mail, I received a phone call from him. He knew I was taking up a love offering, but I think he was as shocked as I was at the response. These funds will allow the foster parents to spend the money they had set aside for Christmas gifts on necessities like food and clothing.

I write all this to encourage those in the adoption community to not forget the children we could not bring home. Find away to help them. It is very hard to open one's heart to adoption if they are not inclined to do so. However, there are other ways to help. There are many reputable organizations out there working with orphans all over the world. Donating straight to an orphanage is risky, but many of these organizations will make sure your money is put to good use.

If you are interested in the group I took a love offering up for, please click on the link below:
http://hopeforlifehome.net

2 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Simply amazing what God can do through those who believe!!

Troy and Rachel said...

What a wonderful, wonderful and uplifting post - thank you.