Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Day Three - Papers Signed

Sorry we are late posting for our third day, but we got back to the motel late and we were pretty wiped out. We got an early start to the orphanage and got there about 9:30 AM. Although we are only about 35 miles away, the travel time is over an hour due to the way the roads wrap around the area.

On our way to the orphanage, our agency representative, Lana, asked us if we were prepared to make a decision to adopt the children. If so, we needed to sign the official papers of intent at the orphanage and take them to town to have them notarized. I told her I was ready to do that the first day! Back home, people often ask about the cost of international adoption and I shy away from that because I do not want to discourage anyone who might be interested. I will tell you now that I would pay ten times the amount it is costing us to bring these children home with us. How can you put a price on the love of these children?

When we arrived at the orphanage we went to the social worker's office, a very nice lady who obviously cares a lot about the children. Soon, Big Sister ran in with gifts for Dawn and I. She ran to me and I picked her up in my arms and hugged her and she gave me a small plastic keychain piece that had the Russian flag on it and some words in Russian on the flip side. I kissed her on the cheek and let her down and she gave Dawn a small hair clip. This child has nothing to call her own, but she found two small gifts, somehow, to give us. She is such a sweet and loving child. Our agency representative explained to Big Sister that we were about to sign official government papers indicating our intent to adopt her and her siblings. I am not sure, but I think she asked her if that was okay because Big Sister grinned and said, “da”. The papers were read to us by our agency representative and Dawn I both signed.

We were then taken to the receiving area to meet Brother and Little Sister. Little Sister and Brother walked in holding hands and ran to us as soon as they saw us. I had kneeled down so I could hug them and I soon had all three wrapped around me. We gave them the small stuffed animals (two dogs and a frog) that Sarah had picked out for them. Our agency representative then told us it was important to tell them now that we had three children back home that would be their brother and sisters. We told her that the children had prepared brief video greetings saying hello and that we played them for the children yesterday. She seemed relieved, but turned to the children and explained that we had other children at home and that we would be a big family. I showed the children a picture of me, Dawn, Jeremy, Christina and Sarah and I named each one. After those formalities were out of the way, it was play time. Before traveling to Russia, Sarah and I went shopping and selected some stickers for Big Sister that had some pens with them that allowed you to color them. Big Sister shared with Brother and they colred some of the stickers and presented them to Dawn and I. We had also brought two puzzles – one for Brother and one for Little Sister. So I sat with the two of them and worked on puzzles. Soon Big Sister joined us.

After that, it was bubble time. They love bubbles.! They bubbles and more bubbles. While playing, we met one of Big Sister's friends who happened to walk by. I took their picture and had hoped tom leave a copy of that picture with them, but that is another story. Anyway, we played until about 12:30 and then it was time for them to go and eat. Big Sister attends school after lunch so it was important that she was not late.

Our agency representative met with some of the caregivers to get us some additional information on the children – likes and dislikes. After saying our goodbyes, we went to town to sign more papers and to have them notarized. We then went out to eat Chinese food and see the town.

Well, that's about it. Today is our last day with the children and that is going to be tough. Please keep us in your prayers.


- Tony & Dawn

No comments: