Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Brrrrrr!

It is cold here at home today with a temperature around 28 degrees. One of my daily routines is to check the temperature where the kids are living - and I do this about four times per day as well as check a webcam focused on the train station in Vladivostok. Well, according to the Weather Channel, it is currently -13 degrees Fahrenheit (that is MINUS 13 degrees) in Ussuriysk which is where the kids live. Our daily prayer is that the kids - all the kids - are warm inside the orphanage (or school). Last week they got about 16 inches of snow and our thoughts have been on Big Sister who must walk about 30-40 yards across the orphanage playground to her school. God has been good to us and blessed us with so much and I know he is listening and taking care of them.

I also think of the hundreds of homeless kids in that very area that live on the streets. At night, they find abandoned buildings to crawl in and also use underground sewer/utility areas to get out of the cold. Please say a prayer for these children.

Also, just to update everyone, we mailed Big Sister a letter and some photos just before Christmas. Some friends in Birmingham translated the letter into Russian for us. The agency will drop of the letter on their next trip to the orphanage. Hopefully, that will be in the next week or so.

4 comments:

Troy and Rachel said...

Hi Tony and Dawn - I just found your blog on CHI and if you don't mind - I'll be following along. I loved reading about your visits with the three children and certainly hope your wait is not as long as Vlad seems to have been taking. We were originally waiting in Vlad for an 18 month or younger little boy, but just upped our age range to up to 3. We too felt our heartstrings pulled in the direction of an 'older child' (even though 3 isn't old). We recently changed regions on an offer from CHI also and are expectin news soon. I still feel a little tied to Vlad as we spent 7and 1/2 months researching the region and contacting families who had already been there etc.

We'll be praying for a court date for you!

Becky and Keith said...

Hi Tony and Dawn! Like Rachel, we are also with CHI and just switched regions. I just read through your blog and loved it! I hope that 2008 brings great things for you!

Tony and Dawn said...

Hello everyone! Thanks for the prayers! God has been so wonderful and we have seen His work throughout our out the process. It is strange that at 3 -4 years old, a child is considered old for adoption. I think folks need to follow their heart and what God is telling them to do. We prayed over the matter very, very hard before we decided what to do. After that, we were at peace and it really did not matter what followed. I am sure there will be bumps in the road ahead - but our faith is strong and we will take each challenge one day at a time.

Please drop us a note and keep us up to date on your progress as things happen!

Nancy said...

I also just found your blog! I would like to follow along during your journey. I adopted my son in Sept 2004, from the Kemerovo region in Siberia. I'm currently waiting for baby #2 (waiting 18 months) now. It helps during the wait to visit with other families. I just got my blog up & running this last fall. If you like, feel free to visit my blog as well.

I am praying for a court date for your family very soon. God's timing is always perfect. Although, the waiting is so hard.

www.nrbfamily.blogspot.com