Monday, June 23, 2008

Blessings

The past 4 weeks with the kids have been amazing. The first couple of weeks, they were getting used to us and the last couple of weeks, they are getting used to their new home and the older kids are getting used to a larger family.

Some one at church asked me how things were going, my reply was "Every day is a blessing, but there are moments each day when there are problems." These are minor, text book, problems that we were told institutionalized children would go through. As I look at the kids, and what they have been through, I think to myself, wow! I grew up in a lower income bracket family in Alabama and we always had food on the table. Maybe not much, but I always had something to eat at meal time. My younger children were not that fortunate early in their life. Then, when put in the government home, it was a environment that was cleaner and better, but they were still in a survival mode. This behavior pops its head up in small situations each day. Dima will eat any food, or anything that resembles food, in sight. He is getting much, much better, but we have to be careful.

Polina is afraid to sleep alone(?). Mind you, she shares a room with Sarah, but she does not like to sleep alone. She has slept a couple of nights with Nastya, but that is disruptive. Nastya will not settle down if Polina is in bed with her. She has slept with Dawn and has asked me to "spaht" with her as well. It troubles me because she will cry if she can't sleep with someone else. Last night after I read them a chapter in one of the Narnia books, I laid down with her and she wrapped both arms around one of my arms and locked them tight. It was if she was afraid someone would take her away. Other than this, she is doing well. She is a typical nine year old! Dawn was being stern with her the other day and trying to get her to go do something and I saw Polina (she had her back to Dawn) start mocking Dawn by moving her mouth and making faces. I called out and told her I saw her, she looked embarrassed that she had been caught. I laughed and told her to obey momma. She grinned and complied.

I look at all the children each day and think what a blessing! Every day, they teach me something! I am sure there will be difficult moments in the future, but I also know there will be moments of joy and happiness. As I write this, Nastya is besides me singing to one of the dogs in Russian. I have no clue what she is saying other than a word here and there. But it sounds sweet.

Well, that is the weekly update. I'll try and post some photos later.

2 comments:

Troy and Rachel said...

It sounds like you all are doing so well. All those little things you mentioned will fade in time. Being surrounded by love is the best cure for many things!

Dewayne said...

Tony you should record the children singing in Russian. One day it will be gone.