Friday, May 23, 2008

Getting Closer and Growing Pains

Good evening from Vladivostok! As I post this note, Dawn is reading to the two youngest, while their older sister is in the tub (koosaka). They love koosaka time! The two youngest will take the coldest baths you can imagine.

Tonight, another young girl, age 10, from the same orphanage came by to see the kids. Her parents had court today and she came back to the motel with her parents late this evening. Her mom said she was asking for the kids as soon as she walked through the doors of the motel. She knew they were here. I think it did the two of them good to see each other.

The kids continue to keep us in stitches, particularly the youngest. She will dance to any beat she happens to hear. And believe me, she can cut her eyes at you and give you a look that pretty much tells you her opinion of what you have said without a doubt. She is very expressive and loves her momma.

Our son is having difficulty obeying, but that was somewhat expected. Just about every class we went to indicated that the children will resist authority in the beginning to see how far they can go. So far, he is the only one to show resistance. These moments result in time in Papa's arms in the bedroom where there are no distractions. He fights for about 5 minutes straight and then settles down. He will scream “ya boylna” (I hurt) when all I am doing is cradling him in my arms like a baby. I know I am not hurting him and I tell him so. I tell him I love him and he is a good boy (in Russian). He is slowly getting better.

The oldest girl continues to watch after her brother and sister. During meal time, she shares her food with them even though there is plenty to go around. She is a sweetheart and can look-up and say “pazhalsta (please) Papa” when she wants something – usually candy. She knows exacatly what she is doing and yes, I have given in on occasion.

Well, time to go. It is bedtime, almost 9PM. Some have requested info on questions about homeschooling and court. I promise to answer soon. Our internet connection is very poor and somewhat expensive. We are saving as much time as possible to speak to our kids over Skype ( I recommend this for families traveling with kids back home.



5 comments:

Michelle said...

I just love reading your updates.
It sounds like you guys are doing a wonderful job with your kiddos. I remember holding time with Yana, it was tough (I am probably a bit smaller than you LOL); but I didn't let her win and just loved her into submission, pretty much. Home 2 years now, haven't needed holding time in a long time now and she knows she is loved and feels secure in our family.

Anyway, I will continue to lift you all up in prayer for the remainder of your journey.

God Bless!


PS When you get back home you will see we have moved our blog (the old one is still there but with a post telling you to come to our newest). You've been gone so long, we already had a make over :)

Anonymous said...

So glad for your daily updates! You are doing the right thing with "holding time." We will pray that he quickly becomes used to his new life with you. He couldn't have two better parents! Love how Little Sister now is a Mama's girl!

Anonymous said...

Oops! We are the "anonymous" post!

Carey and Norman said...

I'm so glad your time in Vlad is going so well. I know how special that time is to have with your children. I'm so excited to hear how they are adjusting. The oldest sounds precious in her motherly manners. How sweet.

We too used our Internet to communicate back home (Yahoo Messenger and webcams). I wouldn't trade it as it helps with the distance b/w you and your children at home. Too bad we can't pay for this service at the orphanages to talk to our children b/w trips.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures soon. Please tell Lana and Irina hello for us!

Bill and Myra said...

I love that your children are with you during the 10 day wait - what great bonding time! We used Skype to call family a lot during our adoptions - it is great!

I am so happy for all of you. I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

Myra