Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Two Good Days

Last night, about six families got together in a small room at the motel to socialize. Counting us, there were four families with their kids. The other three kids were 2 and under and I was worried how our son would act around them. I was not sure if he would be too rough around them so we kept an eye on him. He was an angel! He was so careful around the little ones! We stayed there until about 9:15PM and then it was time for bed. I told him I was so very proud of him. The afternoon had been filled with three or four instances of him acting out and disobeying. He even missed a treat in the cafe (ice cream) because he would not put his shoes on. He just kept saying “nyet”. I told Dawn to take the others and go get ice cream without us. He needed to learn that there are consequences to disobeying. His older sister even tried to tell him to put shoes on so he could get some ice cream. He refused to comply. He then decided to get puzzle pieces and throw them. When he refused to pick them up, that resulted in time in my lap, sitting still, with no television or distractions. These were all minor instances, but each time he was corrected and told to obey, he basically told us he did not have too.

Dawn and I have prayed that God would help us not to show anger, only love in these little episodes. It is very, very sad to sit and think what these kids have been through. Yesterday while Dawn was out getting ice cream with the others, D__ was in my lap crying and the kid does not cry like you would think. I noticed the same thing in his little sister earlier when she bumped her head. When they cry, they moan. It is not a cry like you are accustomed to hearing. I sat there holding him like a baby and rocking him telling him I loved him and he must obey Mama and Papa. He and his sisters really have no concept of living in a family and following the instructions of a mother and father. They are used to several adults watching them and giving them instructions. I'm sure some caretakers love the children, but their role is not that of a mother. It is now 4:30PM and he has been a good boy all day! Right now he is eating an ice cream cone and smiling ear to ear.

Most of the previous post have been about our son with few comments about the girls. The girls are doing fine. They too have their moments! I have had to be a mean dad and take her away from a friend who was adopted and staying just down the hall. I am trying to limit their time together because she needs to spend time with us - her family. She has shed some crocodile tears, but is doing fine. Her little sister flung a fit last night when we told her it was time to go to sleep. Dawn rocked and held her the same as I have done her brother.

To the folks back home, we look forward to seeing you soon. We miss Jeremy and Sarah terribly and can't wait to hold them and hug them. Although with Jeremy, we both have to look up to hug him. I know Christina misses her big brother and sister as well. Take care -


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless you for your loving hearts. We will pray you continue to respond in love as you build your family. Take care!

Anonymous said...

I know these have been long days as you have had to stay so close to the Inn, but what a blessing to have these days together and begin to establish your authority and share yourlove. All the added distractions of coming home will add so much to the equation that it will be great to have these days to fall back on and for the children to have a "base". You are continually in our prayers. The Metzgar's

Melissa said...

I'm just now catching up. Glad to hear things are going well (or as well as they can, given the fact that you are in a hotel, thousands of miles from home!). I'm not sure what church y'all typically go to, but I've got a contact in Moscow for a church of Christ...if you're interested in having it, just let me know!

Carey and Norman said...

I think all you are experiencing is normal for children who are older. Like you said, they have never been under loving discipline and yet offered so many choices. We will pray for you and your time remaining. I know adopting 3 at once is an adjustment and God will provide!!

Many blessings coming your way!

Unknown said...

I officially accepted my referral today and will be travelling to Vladivostok within 2-3 wks. I am very excited! I am really enjoying your updates on your time with your new children!! I am praying for your safe return!
Lea